NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Help us generate labels for Martian surface features! :)
Deep Learning Technology Group (393K)
Deep Learning Research Intern (May 2019 - Aug. 2019)
Mentor: Dr. Ryan Alimo
- Devised CNNs for spacecraft relative pose estimation with multi-scale atrous pyramid pooling and auto-loss weighting
- Implemented cross-domain spherical embedding encoder-decoder networks for model-based relative attitude prediction
- Compressed and integrated trained models into low-power embedded systems for on-board inference demonstration
- Published: S. Sonawani, R. Alimo, R. Detry, D. Jeong, A. Hess, H. Ben Amor. "Assistive Relative Pose Estimation for On-orbit Assembly using Convolutional Neural Networks." AIAA SciTech, 2020.
- Published: H. Hall, P. Beglar*, M. Chamieh*, J. Chu*, R. Daruwala*, V. Duong*, S. Holt*, D. Jeong*, M. Lally*, L. Nguyen*, R. Rafizadeh*, P. Soon Fah*, A. Viros*, K. Weng*, C. Yuan*, C. Derewa, A. Stoica. "Utilizing High Altitude Balloons as Low-Cost CubeSat Testbeds." IEEE Aerospace Conference, 2020.
Machine Learning and Instrument Autonomy Group (398J)
Machine Learning Research Affiliate (Sep. 2018 - April 2019)
- Implemented a VGG16-based Fully Convolutional Neural Network (FCN) that segments input images for detection of Martian Swiss cheese terrain
Machine Learning Research Intern (June 2018 - Aug. 2018)
Mentor: Dr. Lukas Mandrake
- COSMIC (Content-based Onboard Summarization to Monitor Infrequent Change) Project
- Devised method to generate high-quality labels for HiRISE browse images of Martian Swiss cheese terrain
- Performing pixel-wise random forest classification and optimizing performance via feature engineering (e.g. image gradients, filters, spatial information encoding) and hyperparameter tuning
- Published: G. Doran, S. Lu, M. Liukis, L. Mandrake, U. Rebbapragada, K.L. Wagstaff, J. Young, E. Langert, D. Jeong*, A. Trockman*, P. Horton*, A. Braunegg*. "Content-based Onboard Summarization to Monitor Infrequent Change." IEEE Aerospace Conference, 2020.